- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6-1/2 cups torn romaine
- 2-1/2 cups torn curly endive
- 1 bunch watercress (4 ounces), trimmed, divided
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium ripe avocodo, peeled and chopped
- 3 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue or Roquefort cheese
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- In a blender, combine the first eight ingredients. While processing, gradually add canola and olive oils in a steady stream.
- In a large bowl, combine the romaine, endive and half of the watercress; toss lightly. Transfer to a serving platter. Arrange the chicken, tomatoes, avocado, eggs, cheese and bacon over the greens; sprinkle with chives. Top with remaining watercress. Cover and chill until serving.
- To serve, drizzle 1 cup dressing over salad. Serve with remaining dressing if desired.
- Yield: 6 servings (1-1/4 cups dressing).