Thursday, January 13, 2011
Black Bean Vegetable Soup
* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
* 1 onion, chopped
* 1 clove garlic, minced
* 2 carrots, chopped
* 2 teaspoons chili powder
* 1 teaspoon ground cumin
* 4 cups vegetable stock
* 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
* 1 (8.75 ounce) can whole kernel corn
* 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
1. In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion, garlic, and carrots, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until onion is softened. Add chili powder and cumin; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add stock, 1 can of the beans, corn, and pepper; bring to boil.
2. Meanwhile, in food processor or blender, puree together tomatoes and remaining can of beans; add to pot. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until carrots are tender.