2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk or buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoons melted butter, cooled
Powdered Sugar in which to toss doughnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease doughnut pans.
2. Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg and salt together.
3. In a separate bowl use a whisk to combine milk, eggs and vanilla.
4. Add wet ingredients to the dry and begin to stir, then add melted butter and stir only until combined. (I use a wooden spoon to stir)
5. Fill doughnut pans half full. The easiest way is using a piping bag or a plastic bag (snip off the tip) and pipe the batter in.
6. Bake for 7-10 minutes or until the tops spring back to the touch.
7. Let cool on cooling racks, then toss them in powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar.
Powdered sugar will absorb into the doughnut over time, so it's best to toss them just before serving!